Financiers are small French cakes that are similar to mini sponge cakes. They are delectable. We used to think that financiers were really hard to make. Apparently not. Make some afternoon treats to sweeten up your weekend. Here is our recipe for pistachio financiers. Cheers!
Like us on Facebook for more recipes and updates!
Makes 24 pieces (mini cupcake size)
Preparation time: 75 minutes (including 60 minutes for the mixture to rest in the refrigerator)
Baking time: 16 minutes
- 110g unsalted butter
- 4 egg whites
- 64g soft brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 64g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsps finely ground almonds
- ½ cup finely ground pistachios
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios (to be used as topping)
- Heat the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. You do not need to stir the butter. Let it heat up as it is for about five minutes, till it turns golden brown. When done, pour the butter through a strainer into a bowl, and set aside to cool (Caution: The golden brown butter will be extremely hot!).
- Whisk the egg whites, caster sugar and soft brown sugar together in a large bowl until they turn into a smooth mixture. Next, add in the flour, baking powder, salt, finely ground almonds and pistachios. Mix everything up to combine all ingredients into a thick batter.
- When the butter cools, add it into the batter and mix well. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and place it in the refrigerator for about one hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease two mini-muffin tins with butter and sprinkle some flour into them (Skip this step if you are using cupcake papers/liners).
- Remove the batter from the refrigerator. Using a teaspoon, scoop the batter into every individual niche of the mini muffin tins. Sprinkle the finely chopped pistachios on top of them.
- Bake in the oven for about 16 minutes. When done, leave them to cool completely before serving.