We get a regular supply of delectable home-made kimchi from our Korean sister-in-law, who is a much better cook than she probably realises. Her kimchi is, on its own, extremely addictive with a highly balanced flavour that easily entices one to gorge on it till it is all gone.
We are always fighting the urge to do so.
On the successful occasions when we are able to, we have managed to use the kimchi to make various Korean-inspired dishes, such as kimchi beef stew, pajeon and kimchi fried rice. With the help of the kimchi, all dishes have turned out brilliantly.
If you ever get your hands on some excellently made kimchi, here is our recipe for kimchi fried rice that you could use. Cheers! 🙂
Like us on Facebook for more recipes and updates!
Makes 4 to 5 servings
- 1 cup of kimchi, chopped and with kimchi juice squeezed out
- 1/2 cup kimchi juice
- 3 cups of rice, cooked
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced/crushed
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Optional: 1 tsp gochujang
- Optional: 2 eggs, beaten
- Optional: 200g chicken/beef/pork cut into bite-sized chunks or de-shelled prawns or squid cut into rings
- Mix in 2 tablespoons of sesame oil to the rice.
- Mix the soy sauce, gochjang (optional) and garlic into the kimchi juice.
- Fry the kimchi, meat/seafood (optional) and eggs (optional) on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the rice and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the kimchi juice mixture all over the rice and mix it into the rice. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and it is ready to serve.
- Optional: You may sprinkle some freshly chopped spring onions and/or coriander over each serving.