There’s really nothing like a nice stew with a touch of wine in it. So, here’s what we did with some port wine that we got from our visit to Porto last year.
This is our recipe for a veal in port wine stew. Cheers! 🙂
Like us on Facebook for more recipes and updates!
Makes 4 servings
- 1kg veal shanks (osso bucco)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 250g baby carrots
- 300g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 250g brown/button mushrooms thickly sliced
- 50g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into about 3-inch lengths
- 500ml beef stock
- 2 tsps of dried basil/parsley/thyme/rosemary or a few fresh sprigs of them
- 6 dried bay leaves
- 2.5 cups of port wine plus a bit more to marinate the veal
- Plain flour for dusting
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100g unsalted butter
- Season the veal with salt, pepper, and dust some plain flour onto them.
- Melt the butter in a large pot on medium heat. Brown the veal and set aside.
- In the same pot, cook the onions and garlic till they soften up.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, coriander, celery, veal, beef stock, port wine, dried/fresh herbs, and bay leaves. Place a lid on and let everything simmer for about an hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and it is ready to serve.